Monday, January 3, 2011

Day 3

Daily Practice Session

Technical Concepts -Warm ups, lip trills, chest voice, middle voice, head voice, affections, mixing. Today I focused on breathe support and focusing on keeping my facial muscles and neck/vocal chords completely relaxed during the entirety of my warm ups. I did this by warming up in the mirror and watching myself as I warmed up. It was interesting watching myself and seeing how many times I wanted/saw myself beginning to strain even when I didn't actually feel my muscles doing it... interesting. 
Minutes - 30

Repertoire - Sara Barielles, Gravity. I sang through the song 5 times, and am getting comfortable with it. I am worried because I know that this song won't be appropriate for the URTA auditions, and I still haven't gotten together with Kathy on scheduling a meeting to get a "show tune" that is in my range and also that I can have ready in a month... I'm starting to get worried, to say the least.  
Minutes – 15. 

Successes – I'm starting to feel more comfortable with the "baby cry" and "yogi bear" exercises and like Kurt said I think will eventually not need them... Key word eventually. I still have a long way to go.

Areas for improvement – Watching myself in the mirror today, I noticed I still have tendencies to tighten facial musicals when going for higher notes so I need to be more aware of that and stay loose at all times. 

Notes: ahhhh I need a show tune ASAP. 


YOGA 2 


Date/time - 1/3/11, 8 p.m.

Type of class – Hatha Yoga

Difficulty Level - All levels

Studio and Instructor (Include Photo) – Defined Fitness/Misa

What did you most enjoy? – I most enjoyed focusing on breathing. I dedicated my practice today to letting go of all of the things I had been stressing about all day and just focusing on breathing. Each breath and each pose was genuinely satisfying. I was so glad I dragged myself out of the house to go. During shavasana I actually was overwhelmed with so much emotion that I woke up in tears. Happy tears. It was the best/most indescribable feeling, and the reason why I love yoga.

What did you find challenging and why? – Honestly, the room was soooo freezing, and I couldn't get over it the whole class. I had to keep putting my jacket back on during class, and my body never could get all the way warmed up. I felt like my toes were going to fall off! I tried not to let it negatively effect my attitude, which it really didn't, I was mostly just a tad bit uncomfortable.

Observations – I am starting to understand the difference between breathing deep in your lungs, breathing in your shallow chest and breathing all the way down into your stomach... just from taking yoga.



HEALTHY MEAL NUMBER 3


Meal Description – Whole wheat thin bagel with egg whites, mushrooms and asparagus, and fresh fruit.

Restaurant or Market – Einsteins Bagel

Rating – 9/10

This was actually surprisingly good for breakfast! And was under 300 calories (the bagel) . 

No comments:

Post a Comment