Friday, January 21, 2011

Day 21

mmmm SO sore today after three days in a row of yoga. I can barely move. I also worked until 4 in the morning then woke up for my day job at 7, so needless to say I am exhausted. Will be crawling under the covers as soon as I am done blogging. There was a time that Friday nights meant dressing up and going out with my friends to drink and have fun. Now Fridays are designated solely to my cat and my bed. ha. My how times have changed, and I honestly wouldn't change it for the world. All the work I am doing is for myself and towards a goal that I want for myself and only myself. A year ago that wasn't the case. I was willing to structure my life around the dreams and goals of someone else without even realizing it, and it's in the last few weeks that I have opened my eyes to the fact that I am so happy that I didn't sacrifice my dreams for a relationship that wasn't what I thought it was. Being selfless in that relationship almost kept me from chasing my own dreams and I am so incredibly lucky that I didn't let it get that far. Now when I am tired, or when I start doubting myself and get frustrated while rehearsing monologues/songs, I have to remind myself that I may not even be in this position and I should be happy to be on this delirious path towards my own life journey towards grad school/getting out of New Mexico. Because honestly, I could have been engaged and pregnant right about now (not that there is anything wrong with that because there isn't), but I have woken up to realize that that is really the last thing in the world that I want right now. THE LAST THING that I want. I am too selfish. And I'm not ashamed to say that. I have no business having children. Or being married for that matter. I have way too many things I need to experience before I can commit to taking care of someone else. I want to sing, dance, act, live and this challenge has given me such a perspective on the things that I need and want that I will carry with me for a very long time. 


I always thought blogging was so cheesy and now here I am doing more blogging than filling out my practice logs. I find it really therapeutic, even if no one really reads it.  Funny how stuff like that sneaks up on you, huh?


Daily Practice Session

Technical Concepts - Warmed up this morning after about 2.5 hours of sleep. Honestly, it wasn't pretty, and honestly, I was less than half awake while I was getting ready/warming up. Same as everyday, along with Kurt recorded warm up. Lip trills, yogi bear goo goos, muh muh's, mixing, head voice, chest voice, middle voice, head voice... 
Minutes - 15 minutes

Repertoire - Sara Bareilles, Gravity, Spring Awakening, Mama Who Bore Me, A Chorus Line, Nothing
Minutes – 15

Successes – Met today with the Full Voice Recital Group and Zack to go over our songs. I was kind of nervous but it went well I thought. Mama Who Bore Me went really well, actually, especially since it was pretty rusty. That song has been in my repertoire (not as an audition song) for a year and works really well for my middle voice (which is probably the strongest aspect of my singing). Gravity was a little scary at first. I think I was nervous singing in front of everyone, which is silly because everyone is super supportive (especially Cierra). The tricky part of this song for me is if I don't go for it at the bridge then it just goes downhill for me fast. The second time we ran through it I just "went for it" with confidence and it sounded and felt much better. 

Areas for improvement – Like I said above, I can't be timid at the bridge. I was super timid the first time Zack and I went through the song and it was all wrong. Plus I didn't have enough air, and I couldn't get through the "bringing me down." Also I need to keep in mind all the notes Kurt gave me in our private lesson. When to use the whisper effect, when to be stronger, etc.

Notes: Overall I think I am ready for Sundays performance. Of course, I would love more time, but don't I always say that?


Healthy Eating Number 17

Meal Description – Grilled Shrimp and Mushrooms with Grilled Onions and rice

Restaurant or Market – Mariscos Altimar

Rating – 8.5/10


1 comment:

  1. Jessica, the blog looks great! I told you it would become addicting...lol! Looks like you are right on track with your goals and that is something to be extremely proud of. Good for you!

    I found this blog site that you might be interested in. It's amazing the things you run across when you're surfing the web. Looks like this guy is a bit of a theater guru. http://www.theproducersperspective.com/my_weblog/

    Let me know what you think ;D

    ReplyDelete