Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Day 25, a.k.a. "everyone needs a good cry day"

Today started great. I had every intention of getting as much stuff done as possible... most importantly getting at least 2 solid hours in of rehearsing monologues. That did not happen. Believe me, I tried. I have been really struggling with finding a good rehearsal space for my monologues. My Henry the IV piece especially requires a lot of movement and space I am so close to my auditions at this point that I really need to be rehearsing in a room that is similar to where I will actually be auditioning. Luckily, I had the code to get into the large rehearsal space in the old architecture building, so I ran over there as soon as I got off of work today and planned on being in there as late as it took to feel like I got some solid work done on my audition slate. As soon as I started to feel "in the groove" I got kicked out by Susan Pearson. No big deal, I thought, I'll just run across the street. B409 was empty and the room wasn't signed out so I put my name in and started working. Not 10 minutes went by and two girls pop their heads in saying that they need the room for Ghost Sonata. Aggh. I peeked in across the hall and Kurt was working in there (man that guy is a hot commodity around here isn't he) and the X was also in use.... no big deal I thought, I'm sure I can find a room in Johnson. Still trying to muster the best mood possible I walked over to Johnson and luckily the dance room was free. About 20 minutes into my rehearsal a lady walked in and said that she had a class that was about to start. It was about all that I could do to put on my jacket and grab my things before I walked out of the room and immediately burst into tears. I literally cried the whole way to my jeep. I haven't cried like that in a long time. I'm sure I am over reacting but all I wanted to do today was work on my monologues and it seemed like the whole world was keeping me from doing so. Maybe I just needed to have the inevitable "this is one of the biggest moments of your life" breakdowns before my auditions, but I am not kidding this was one of those breakdowns. I have been so sure of myself lately that today's little hiccup kind of had me doubting everything that I have been so sure of.


Although I didn't get the work in today that I wanted, and needed, on my monologues, I did get another private lesson in with Kurt and Paul which focused on Nothing for my URTA audition, so the whole day wasn't completely a bust! 


Private Lessons/Coaching Sessions Number 3

Date/time - January 25, 2011 12 p.m.

Instructor - Kurt Robinson 
Minutes- 75

Repertoire - Nothing, A Chorus Line

Points covered – The usual warm ups, also added more breathing and strengthening/scales exercises, which is cool and gives me more material to work on. For Nothing, we focused on more character building/ideas for Morales. We got kicked out of the room, which actually worked to my advantage because we moved into the X and then I got to run through Nothing a few times as an actual audition situation. 

Notes: Before my slate I need to remember to tell the pianist that I will look down and that once I look back up that is the cue to start the music. Also need to play around a little more with character choices with Morales, but not over do it or think about it too much. It's time to start adding more music to my repertoire. Next meeting with Kurt and Paul I'm going to show them my monologues! 
Healthy Eating Number 23
Meal Description – Brown Cow cherry vanilla yogurt, banana, orange and Yogi egyptian licorice tea

Restaurant or Market – The Co Op

Rating – 9/10

Daily Practice Session

Technical Concepts - Usual warm up along with recording from last private session with Kurt. A little different because we added more breathing/strengthening/scale exercises.
Minutes - 35

Repertoire - A Chorus Line, Nothing and Spring Awakening, Mama Who Bore Me
Minutes – 28

Successes – I am starting to find some comfortable character choices with Morales. I only ran through it a few times because like Kurt said, I don't want to over do it or over think it.

Areas for improvement – I wasn't singing the notes right on "I felt Nothing, I felt Nothing" today. I was getting it right when I was singing it later today because I kept singing it over and over but I just need to remember it.

Notes: I am going to bring new music to add to my repertoire for my next meeting with Kurt on Friday.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment