Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Day 19

I cannot believe that I have made it through 19 whole days, and that tomorrow will be day 20! Congrats to everyone else who has made it this far also! I'm so proud of you all. And although I'm not at school with all of you guys (which makes me really sad), and don't see you every day like I used to, I feel like this has all made us all a lot closer, in it's own weird way. Okay, now I'm done being all sappy... I am excited for our performance on Sunday, but I'm also kind of nervous. Even though it's been 19 days, I don't really feel completely ready to sing in front of anyone yet. Mostly I don't feel ready because I don't feel like I have had enough time with an accompanist yet. If there is anything that this challenge, this year, grad school auditions, and being a graduate has taught me is that I will always feel like I never have enough time. Normally in Kathy's class, we have time with Paul to go over our songs with the music and the piano at least a few times before we get in front of people and sing, and I have been practicing mostly by myself, so I guess this just doesn't seem like the "conventional" way of doing things to me. I suppose this is actually the conventional way in New York or other big cities when one goes to an audition, so this challenge is actually teaching me a very good lesson.


Today I got a lot of work done. Today was the 6th day in a row I have worked for at least an hour and a half on my monologues, which I am really proud of myself about. I scheduled a meeting with Paul next week to work on my URTA audition, took a yoga class, ate a healthy meal, and of course, did my daily singing.


Dance/Personal Fitness Number 5

Date/time - January 19, 2011 5:30

Type of class – Yoga I-II

Difficulty Level - Intermediate

Studio and Instructor - Sports and Wellness, Erin K

What did you most enjoy? – I most enjoyed being back in a class that was back to what I am used to. I really like Erin. She is a really cheery instructor with a good attitude, but also is teaches a very challenging class. I liked todays class because she focused on hip openers, which happen to be some of my favorite classes. Especially pigeon... A lot of people don't like pigeon, but it happens to be one of my favorite poses.

What did you find challenging and why? – The class was really full today, and I felt like I was literally on top of the person in front of and on the sides of me. It was challenging not to knock the girl in standing in front of me in the face, so sometimes I lost focus of my breathing. I had to recompose myself in those moments when I started to laugh. 

Observations – I got to have a full shavasana today! My favorite! Nothing like it. Literally brings me to tears sometimes. Does anyone else feel that way?


Daily Practice Session

Technical Concepts - Started with new recorded Kurt warm up, lip trills, yogi bear goo goos, muh muh's, za za's, mixing from chest voice, middle voice, head voice, breathing/strengthening exercises.
Minutes - 35

Repertoire - A Chorus Line, Nothing, Sara Barellies, Gravity
Minutes – 25

Successes – Listened to Nothing over and over and over again. Ha.
Almost memorized. I really like this character a lot, and think that this song will really round out my URTA slate perfectly.

Areas for improvement – Need to figure out which 30 seconds to use for audition. Honestly have no idea what to use.

Notes: Have meeting scheduled with Paul for Monday. 




Healthy Eating Number 16


Meal Description – Grilled Chicken Salad with toasted almonds, apple slices, bleu cheese crumbles and raspberry dressing

Restaurant or Market – Cheese and Coffee

Rating – 6/10... sounded good but was just eh.


No comments:

Post a Comment