Thursday, January 20, 2011

Day 20

Wow, Day 20! Only 10 days to go! Well, I guess 11 since there are 31 days in January, but who is counting? I'm posting early today since I work tonight, and last Thursday I cut it waaaay too close for comfort as I was running out the door for work and I don't want to do that to myself again. I have been to yoga three nights in a row and I am so sore, in a good way though. Week three has definitely been the most gratifying so far and I also feel like I have gotten the most done. It seems like ever since my meeting with Kurt on Friday I have been knocking things off my list left and right and it sure feels good. 


20 days till my grad school auditions... and I'm finally starting to feel like I'm ready!


Dance/Personal Fitness Number 6

Date/time - January 20, 2011 5:30

Type of class – Yoga I/II

Difficulty Level - Intermediate 

Studio and Instructor – Sports and Wellness, Robin

What did you most enjoy? – I most enjoyed the way Robin instructed this class. She is one of my favorite yoga teachers. She combines vinyasa techniques, and also comes around and helps deepen the poses/stretches when you really didn't think your body could go any farther. Her voice is also really calming which I really like. 

What did you find challenging and why? – Today I had a really hard time with balance in standing poses, which is normally something I never struggle with. It was really strange. This first time I lost my footing I think it got into my head and I just started over thinking it. Robin also thought that I was probably over thinking it as well. I decided to just rest in childspose and focus on breathing to refocus my mind. I didn't want to get frustrated over something silly that I'm normally strong at.   

Observations – 3 classes in 3 days! 4 to go! 

Daily Practice Session

Technical Concepts - Warm up with along with Kurt recorded warm up, started with lip trill scales, yogi bear nah nah's, goo goo's, baby cries, mixing in chest voice, middle voice, and head voice. Then did new exercises that Kurt had given me, breathing/strengthening exercises.
Minutes - 40

Repertoire - A Chorus Line, Nothing, Sara Bareilles, Gravity and Spring Awakening Mama Who Bore Me
Minutes – 25

Successes – I am starting to feel pretty strong when it comes to breath support. I can tell when I'm breathing shallow and adjust it right away. Also I am spending a lot more time during my warm ups mixing in head voice, and not just getting stuck in middle voice.

Areas for improvement – Having a hard time getting off book on Nothing, worried it won't be ready to perform on Sunday?

Notes: I have a private lesson and coaching session scheduled with Paul and Kurt Monday which I am really looking forward to going over Nothing. I have been doing work by myself, but it will be nice to have piano and coaching time.

No comments:

Post a Comment